Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas Crafts Galore continued ... again ...

Some other things that we made as gifts this year were finger paint, pumpkin spice body scrub, and brown sugar coffee body scrub. 

The finger paint was really fun and easy to make and looked like pudding! 
All you need to do is: 
Combine: 
3 Tb sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C corn starch
2 C water
in a small saucepan. 
Warm until mixture starts to thicken. (This took a lot longer than I thought it would. I started with the heat low but then moved it up to medium and whisked more frequently and that sped things up considerably. I recommend removing the mixture when it's a little thinner than you want for the paint because it thickens more as it cools.) 
Cool. 
Pour in containers. 
Add food coloring for desired colors. 
Enjoy! 

Our red looks a bit too pink because we ran out of red food coloring! 

Aren't they pretty though? I love them!
And they're safe to ingest so if you have little ones, like I do, that still test everything with their mouths than these are perfect for you. 

We also made Pumpkin Spice Scrub as well as Brown Sugar Coffee Scrub. 
Both also super easy but awesome to have around. 
The Pumpkin Spice smells amazing! 
The Brown Sugar Coffee scrub also smells amazing AND I love the oil content in this one. It feels amazing in the MN winter. 


Pumpkin Spice Scrub:
2 C Brown Sugar
1 C Granulated Sugar
2 Tb Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 C + 1 Tb Sunflower, Safflower, or Olive Oil {Almond Oil is also wonderful} 
I also added a little bit of Vitamin E Oil
Mix all but the oil and get the lumps out. 
Add oil and mix. 

Close up of the Pumpkin Spice


The next one was the Brown Sugar Coffee scrub.
This is a recipe that I adapted because I wanted to add the coffee. :) 
Me and my coffee. 
Gotta have it, even in my bath scrub. 

The basic recipe is: 
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 olive oil
1 tsp vitamin E oil
1 tsp essential oil {I used lavender}
1/4 C coffee grounds

I doubled this recipe to fill a pint size jar. 



We had great fun making these! Emma thought it was a splendid Christmas activity complete with "spectacular" Christmas music! 

1 comment:

Nikki said...

So honored that we got to be some of the recipients of your creativity! :) Love it all & thank you!!!